Simpson's in the Strand
Since first opening as a chess club and coffee house in 1828, Simpson’s has provided an elegant backdrop to historical meetings, literary debates and momentous meals of all kinds, and is now marking itself out as one of the city’s landmark restaurants.
Having undergone restoration in 2017 to bring this Grade II listed building back to its former glory, Simpson’s in the Strand now features a reimagined Bill of Fare that brings the classic British cuisine, for which it has become so well-loved, up to date.
During the founding years of Simpson’s as a chess club, meals were served beneath silver-domed cloches and silently wheeled to the table on an antique trolley for minimal disturbance to chess player’s concentration. Today, guests can choose daily from 28-day dry Roast rib of Scottish Beef or Daphne’s Welsh Lamb, carved at the table by the Master Carver, and served with Savoy cabbage, beef fat roasted potatoes, gravy, horseradish sauce and Yorkshire pudding.