The Savoy sustainable initiatives and energy-saving measures work to support and enhance the hotel’s luxurious ambiance; never compromising our guest’s experience.
Building on the guidelines of Agenda 21, the environmental action plan signed at the Rio Earth Summit in 1992, ACCOR’s Planet 21 programme challenges all of us—from guests to hotel colleagues to property developers—to think creatively about the ways our actions affect not just the environment, but the people and places that we call home. It also challenges us to put these thoughts into concrete actions that help our communities and our planet. At The Savoy:
- Guests can enjoy a revolutionary new sustainable cocktail, the Co-Naissance. The Savoy are collaborating with ecoSPIRITSTM, a closed-loop system that minimises packaging waste and transport costs, reducing carbon emissions by 90%. The cocktail uses Portobello Gin, is blended with liqueurs that are made from locally foraged ingredients and topped with re-carbonated Champagne. What’s more, cocktails sold will support a reforestation programme in Borneo.
- The hotel uses energy-efficient light bulbs and rooms have smart motion detectors to monitor changes in the lighting and air-conditioning.
- To reduce our water usage guests can engage with our linen and towels reuse programme.
- Table water is served in custom-designed bottles, straight from our onsite table-water bottling plant.
- Energy and water consumption are measured and analysed regularly to avoid discrepancies.
- Our chefs work with sustainable suppliers for fresh, locally-sourced and seasonal produce, providing thoughtful provenance on our menus.
- Food waste and used kitchen oil are recycled to renewable energy.
- Extensive waste recycling and reuse initiatives help to divert waste from public areas, guest rooms and elsewhere in the hotel away from landfills. We are proud of our 98%+ recycling record.
- We have planted over 1,900 trees through our Plant for the Planet programme, in partnership with the climate-protection organisation, PurProject. Projects include an AgriNatura project in Poland, Coffee for Peace in Columbia and in collaboration with The Woodland Trust in the UK.
- We are proud of our work in the local community and support a number of charities including Thames21, a conservation charity, involving River Thames foreshore clean-up days.
- A Savoy bee hotel was gifted to Canada House in Trafalgar Square, attracting vital pollinator bees.
- Even our natural corks are recycled by a local school to craft items that in turn are sold to raise charitable funds.
At corporate level, we’re striving to increase our colleague diversity, particularly among executives, to better reflect the world we live in. And we’re dedicating ourselves to becoming even better members of our community, with our WATCH program to ensure that child abuse does not occur at our properties, and initiatives that will see us donating more of our unused food products and amenities, building long-lasting partnerships with local non-profit organizations, beginning new fundraising ventures and more.
An award-winning sustainable hotel
The Savoy is a member of the Considerate Hoteliers Association, holds a Gold Award with Green Tourism for London and has received numerous prestigious environmental awards.